Monday, November 30, 2009

Garden city infested with Eunuchs

If there is something that I am afraid of on Bangalore roads, it’s not the Bangalore traffic jam or the corrupt cops who suck our blood even if we have all the documents handy, but it’s the hijras (Eunuchs).

The informal definition of eunuch according to the dictionary is “An ineffectual, powerless, or unmasculine man.” But I somehow feel they are the most powerful when it comes to begging on the roads, than most of their male counterparts.

They nearly rape us (if I am allowed to use this) for money. Let me substantiate my discussion with proper evidence.

Once I was travelling alone from Bangalore to Hyderabad by train. I saw all the others who were sitting around me were families and I was the only bachelor in my vicinity. As the train had just left Bangalore railway station, a hijra appeared and demanded for money. I was reluctant to give him/her as he/she was demanding rather than begging. (Language experts all over the world...Please come up with a suitable pronoun to describe eunuchs. Until then I’ll reluctantly use the universally accepted ‘he’). He threatened to lift his lowers. I was afraid and embarrassed at the same time. No one around me came for my rescue, may be because they were not troubled by the eunuch (and its typical Indian mentality to always play safe and enjoy the show, until and unless they are troubled). Helplessly, I searched my wallet for some change and as bad luck played its role, I had no change except for a hundred rupee note. I will be left with nothing if I give it to him. He gave me a grave look and pulled the note out of my wallet by force. And I stared at everyone’s face like a jackass waiting for help. The hijra left and everyone came to my seat to soothe me (again a reflection of typical Indian mentality). One uncle even tried to give me a 100 rupee note saying I may need it. ‘A eunuch made me a beggar finally’ I thought and refused his offer with a fake smile.

Coming back to our topic of Eunuch menace in Bangalore, I see them everywhere on the roads demanding, as if it’s their right, rather than begging money, at every traffic signal. I never crossed a traffic signal in Bangalore without being confronted by a hijra and lightening my wallet. If you don’t agree with me, please try going out on your bike on a jam-packed road. They don’t leave people in autos even. Now days, I see them at malls too.

I am not against eunuchs, nor am I against their rights. They have got every right to live and earn in the society. I am only against the means they are employing to earn money.
I feel pity for their status in the society, and on how they are looked down to. But at the same time, I am equally angered by their behavior. So I am not able to exactly decide on my take, when it comes to the topic of eunuchs and their menace.

My views on this topic are open to discussion and you guys have all the rights to oppose or support…


No comments:

Post a Comment