Thursday, December 10, 2009

A lot can happen over Coffee


Having screwed up my entire day at office, I felt I needed a break. I looked at my watch and it was already 9PM. I locked my pc with a lot of work left unsaved and left my cubicle, and went to the parking lot to get my bike. After a lot of security checks in my campus, I was finally out of it by 9:25PM. I rode towards Café Coffee Day, on the outskirts of Bangalore and nearly six kilometers from my campus. I reached there after a tiresome twenty minute ride, parked my bike and walked into the coffee shop.

I searched for an empty seat so that I could enjoy my solitude, but the coffee shop was crammed with couples or groups on all the tables, lost in their own worlds of fun and frolic. I waited for five whole minutes before I got a seat in the corner which was just vacated by a Chinese couple. I sat there lost in my own thoughts, undisturbed by the gambol around me. The words of my boss, ‘You are fit for nothing… You can’t do anything’ were reverberating in my mind like someone pounding with a sledge-hammer on my head. ‘Getting my butt fucked all these days in office, this is what I achieved’ – I said to myself. ‘What the hell is he expecting from me? Does he want me to worship his ass always?’ I thought. My head was overloaded with such thoughts until a voice interrupted saying, ‘Order Please, Sir!’


I ordered Mocha and the waiter left taking my order. I cursed him for the disturbance he caused, and started looking all around me. My eyes suddenly stopped wandering as I saw a girl walking towards the entrance door. She was pretty, clad in pink top and blue denims, and with dark goggles pulled over her head, like a hair band. The black eyeliner highlighted her perfectly grey eyes. She stood there searching for a seat but there wasn’t any. I watched her until our eyes met and I had to immediately take off my gaze from her.

As if God had showered his mercy on this poor soul, she walked towards my seat and said ‘Excuse me! Can I sit here?’ Only a fool would say NO at that moment. And I’m not a fool. She sat there and took out her mobile from her bag. And I sat there acting as if I was looking into the menu, lifting my head occasionally to see her. She didn’t look at me and was busy typing something on her mobile. I looked at the tag around her neck and found that she is a student of a reputed Business School.

The waiter arrived with my Mocha, placed it on the table and waited for her order. She ordered a cappuccino. After the waiter left, our eyes met again. I managed to give a smile and she smiled back. ‘Hi’ I said. And she replied back ‘Hello’. Silence crept in between us again after that. After a few sips of Mocha, I said ‘So you are a management grad.’ ‘Still under process’, she said and winked with an impish grin. I laughed and asked her name, even though I knew it from the bold letters printed on her id card. She gave me a why the fuck do you want it look. I was taken aback for a moment. ‘Priya Aggarwal’, she said and asked for my name, more for courtesy sake than being interested to know it. I told her my name. I even told her that I am working for India’s second largest software firm. This did not seem to impress her. She seemed to be more interested in pressing the buttons on her mobile than hearing to what I spoke. After a while she resumed the conversation asking about my job and what exactly I do. After that, we spoke quite a lot in a shorter time.

She seemed to be an interesting kind of character and I felt happy talking to her. I forgot all my day’s frustration as I spoke to her. I irritated her with my deadly PJ’s and loose talk. And believe me all this happened within one hour of our introduction. Highly unbelievable, Right!!! We became friends within one hour over a cup of coffee. We realized it’s time for us to leave and so we exchanged our numbers hoping to continue our friendship. And from then we have been talking to each other daily and eventually became best buddies.

As I told you, A lot can happen over Coffee…

8 comments:

  1. Might be a personal experience but i liked the narration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. share the number of that girl!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. U R not a Fool.! I agree LOL :)I would Lyk to knw "Hw Many Tymes u been to Cafe Coffee.? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. gr8 incident dude... Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice one dude...Your are indeed very picky i would say verbose..rather..I have seriously loved it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey dude this was a real nice explanantion...
    Grt8 usage of words too .

    Tell me the address of that CCD i will sit there daily :)

    ReplyDelete